新东方网>英语>英语学习>语法词汇>词汇指导>正文

含有“big”的趣味俚语:To be a big shot成为一个大佬?!

2019-10-23 14:53

来源:互联网

作者:

  Be big of (someone)

  了不起

  If an action is big of someone, it’s good, kind or helpful. However, this idiom is usually used sarcastically when the person using it thinks that the other person could do a lot more.

  如果一个人的行为是伟大的,指的是这种行为是美好的、善良的或乐于助人的。然而,当使用这个习语的人认为其实别人可以做得更多时,这个习语通常被讽刺性地使用。

  It was really big of you to spare a whole minute for me yesterday.

  昨天你为我腾出了整整一分钟,真是太好了。

  You haven’t even called her yet to see how she’s doing? That’s big of you.

  你还没有打电话给她,看看她怎么样了?你真了不起。

  Negative

  消极的

  To be big headed

  傲慢自大的

  To be conceited or arrogant. Used as an adjective to describe a person’s personality.

  骄傲自满形容词用来形容一个人的个性。

  He’s so big headed. All he talks about is himself.

  他太自大了。他所说的都是他自己。

  She’s not big headed, but she often comes across that way to new people she meets.

  她并不傲慢,但她经常以那样的方式来对待她遇到的新朋友。

  To give someone a big head

  使某人骄傲自满

  To praise someone so much that they start thinking very highly of themselves.

  赞美某人太多以至于他们开始高估自己。

  Don’t tell him he’s good-looking. You’ll give him a big head.

  别告诉他他长得好看。你会让他骄傲自满的。

  You’ll give her a big head with all those compliments! She won’t even be able to fit through the door by the time you’re done!

  你这样赞美她会使她忘乎所以的!当你做完的时候,她甚至无法穿越这个门!

  Getting too big for your boots

  太自以为是

  Behaving as if you are more important than you actually are. Acting like you’re better than other people. Having a very high opinion of yourself. Used negatively.

  表现得好像你比实际更重要一样。假装你比别人强。对自己有很高的评价。使用时有消极意义。

  Have you seen Sarah lately? Since she got promoted she’s been getting far too big for her boots.

  你最近见到莎拉了吗?自从她升职以来,她越来越自以为是了。

  Alright, stop it. You’re getting far too big for your boots and I’ve had enough!

  好吧,停止。你太自以为是,我受够了!

  To be a big mouth

  大嘴巴

  Adjective used to describe an aspect of a person’s personality. It means they tell people things they shouldn’t, for example secrets.

  这个形容词用来形容一个人性格的一个方面。这意味着他们告诉人们他们不应该说的事情,比如泄露秘密。

  Don’t tell Josh about your promotion. You know he’s a big mouth and everyone will know by lunch time.

  不要告诉乔西你晋升的事。你知道他是个大嘴巴,你如果告诉他,每个人都会在午饭时间知道这件事。

  Don’t be such a big mouth! Can’t you keep a secret for once in your life?

  别那么大嘴巴!你一辈子不能保守一次秘密吗?

  Other idioms with big

  其他带有big的词语

  To see the big picture

  关注大局

  To focus on the most important parts of a situation, rather than the smaller details.

  专注于一个情况下的最重要的部分,而不是较小的细节。

  In my line of work I really need to focus on the big picture or it won’t all fit together at the end.

  在我的工作中,我真的需要把注意力放在大局上,否则到最后就不会做成一件大事。

  Is anyone seeing the big picture around here? If we don’t start focussing now we’ll never get this project delivered on time!

  有人关注大局吗?如果我们现在不开始集中注意力,我们将永远无法按时完成这个项目!

  To be big on (something)

  对...注重

  To be interested in something, to enjoy something a lot or to think something is particularly important.

  对某事感兴趣,经常享受某事,或者思考某事特别重要。

  Make sure you say please and thank you and call her Mrs Jones. She’s big on politeness.

  一定要说声谢谢,叫她琼斯夫人。她很注重礼节。

  He’s not big on hugs so don’t be surprised if all he does is shake your hand.

  他不怎么拥抱,所以不要感到惊讶,如果他和你只是握手。

  A big ask

  不情之请

  Informal. To ask someone to do something for you or for a favour that is difficult, time consuming or inconvenient for the person you’re asking. ‘A big ask’ can also be used sarcastically, if the person thinks they have asked for something easy but that hasn’t been done.

  非正式。请求某人为你做某事,或者请求某人帮忙,这对于你请求的人来说是困难、费时或不方便的。如果某人认为他们要求一些简单的但尚未完成的事情,那么也可以讽刺地使用“big ask”。

  I know it’s a big ask, but is there any chance you could pick Charlie up from school for me today?

  我知道这是一个不情之请,但是你今天有机会帮我从学校接查利吗?

  Is it really a big ask for us to have lunch together once every couple of months?

  每两个月一起吃一次午餐真的是一个很过分的要求吗?

  To make a big deal (of something)

  大惊小怪

  To exaggerate a situation, put a lot of focus on something or someone or build up the importance of something.

  为了夸大一个情况,把很多注意力放在某事或某人身上,或者建立某事的重要性。

  Please don’t make a big deal out of this, but I forgot to buy milk at the shops.

  请不要为此大惊小怪,但我忘了在商店买牛奶。

  Let’s all try to make a big deal of her today, she’s worked really hard and she really deserves it.

  我们今天都好好地夸奖她,她工作很努力,她真的值得。

  Big time

  很大程度地

  Informal. A lot or to a great extent. Used to emphasise an action.

  非正式的。很多或很大程度上。用来强调行动。

  You owe me big time for that favour I did you last week.

  上星期你欠了我很大的人情。

  He needs to apologise big time for what he’s done to me.

  他需要为他对我所做的事好好地道歉。

版权及免责声明

凡本网注明"稿件来源:新东方"的所有文字、图片和音视频稿件,版权均属新东方教育科技集团(含本网和新东方网) 所有,任何媒体、网站或个人未经本网协议授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他任何方式复制、发表。已经本网协议授权的媒体、网站,在下载使用时必须注明"稿件来源:新东方",违者本网将依法追究法律责任。

本网未注明"稿件来源:新东方"的文/图等稿件均为转载稿,本网转载仅基于传递更多信息之目的,并不意味着赞同转载稿的观点或证实其内容的真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人从本网下载使用,必须保留本网注明的"稿件来源",并自负版权等法律责任。如擅自篡改为"稿件来源:新东方",本网将依法追究法律责任。

如本网转载稿涉及版权等问题,请作者见稿后在两周内速来电与新东方网联系,电话:010-60908555。

热搜关键词