"The bee's knees" 是蜜蜂的膝盖吗?
2017-08-04 16:01
来源:新东方网整理
作者:
1. a beehive of activity
人人都在忙
当我们想表达每个人都在忙碌,就像蜂房中的蜜蜂一般,我们就可以使用这个短语。
【例如】
My house was a beehive of activity for the whole family was helping me clean .
全家人都在忙着帮我打扫房间。
In comparison, the Security Council has been a beehive of activity since Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990.
相比之下,自1990年伊拉克入侵科威特以来,安理会已经成为活动频繁的场所。
2. make a beeline for something
直奔某事
beeline的原义是指蜜蜂身上黑黄相见的条纹。也就是至直线的意思。“make a beeline for something”就是直奔主题,绝不绕弯子。
【例如】
It was then that I smelled what I thought were bagels and made a beeline for the market across the street.
这时,我闻到了一种我认为是百吉饼的香味,然后过街径直朝市场走去。
3. the bee's knees
极好的人或物
“the bee's knees”是一个历史悠久,悠久到现代人并不再频繁使用,而人们却非常喜欢,当做古董珍藏起来的短语。我们不太清楚短语的由来,我们甚至不知道蜜蜂还有膝盖...而这个短语表示最棒最好的、出类拔萃人或事物。
【例如】
-Do you like this website?
- I think it’s the bee’s knees.
你喜欢这个网址吗?
这真是极好的网址。
4. bee in the bonnet
心烦意乱 无法摆脱
如果一个朋友不停的念叨一件事,或是被麻烦盯上无法摆脱,我们就可以说“someone/something is a bee in her bonnet”。bonnet是一种帽子。帽子里有一只蜜蜂嗡嗡飞,还真是让人讨厌。
【例如】
The council wants to close down our local library. I've got a bee in my bonnet about it!
理事会决定关闭我们当地的图书馆。这真是烦事缠心,挥之不去。
Mum's got such a bee in her bonnet about the wedding. I keep telling her that it will be fine, but she's very worried.
妈妈为婚礼的事情焦灼不安。我说没什么问题,不用担心。
当然,我们熟悉的
“as busy as bee”
也是非常常用的英文表达