新东方网>英语>英语学习>英语阅读>英语美文>正文

经典美文英语短篇:英语美文摘抄《当你放弃探索,人生就结束了》(中英对照)

2020-03-26 21:49

来源:新东方网整理

作者:

  每天分享一篇中英双语阅读,对英语口语的练习很有帮助,也是积累英语考试中写作,翻译素材的好资料,加油吧!

  当你放弃探索,人生就结束了

  朗读:Victoria

  Romain Rolland once said:

  罗曼·罗兰曾说:

  "Most men die at twenty or thirty;

  “很多人在20岁、30岁的时候就死了,

  thereafter they are only reflections of themselves,

  一过这个年龄,他们只不过变成了自己的影子

  for the rest of their lives they are aping themselves,

  此后的余生不过在模仿自己中度过,

  repeating from day to day more and more mechanically and affectedly what they said and did and thought and loved when they were alive."

  日复一日,更机械,更装腔作势地重复他们有生之年的所作所为、所思所想、所爱所恨。”

  Recently, I suddenly realized that this quote is talking about me.

  最近,我忽然发现这则引言说的就是我。

  I chose a stable job back as a civil servant in my hometown under my parents' advice after I graduated from college.

  大学毕业之后,我听从父母的建议,在家乡找了一个稳定的公务员工作。

  The job is easy. And my workload is quite small.

  工作很轻松,工作量也很小。

  So I have plenty of time of mine own to spend.

  所以我有充足的时间可以自由支配。

  I bought my car and my house and went on dates which are arranged by my parents.

  我买好了车和房子,并根据父母的安排去约会。

  Everything goes well in my life.

  生活中的一切都很顺利。

  But, last month I went to a classmates reunion. And it crashed my heart.

  但是,上个月我去了一个同学聚会。而我的心彻底被打碎了。

  When we were having the meal. Some of my classmates talked about their interesting jobs and interesting challenges in Internet companies. Some of them were talking about strategies in investing in fund and stocks. Some of them were talking about all the new skills they have been learning, which I hadn't even heard of.

  宴席上,有些同学在谈他们在互联网公司那些有趣的工作、有趣的挑战,有些谈起他们在基金和股票上的投资策略,有些则在谈他们在学的一些新技能,而这些技能我听都没听过。

  But I? All I could talk about was that my wife just got pregnant.

  而我呢?我能说的只是我太太前不久怀孕了。

  And now it seems like my child is about to take the same boring path that I have taken.

  现在看来,似乎我的孩子也要走上我走过的这条无聊道路。

  Is this the life that I want?

  这真的是我想要的生活吗?

  Is this even life?

  这真的是生活吗?

  This suddenly becomes so horrible to me. I can't live like this.

  我突然觉得这无比可怕。我不能这样生活下去。

  And that's why I started to search for a new job. I don't want to die when I am thirty.

  而这,也就是我重新开始找工作的原因。我不想在30岁就死去。

  Life is only worth living when there are things to explore.

  生活,只有在还有新事物可以探索的时候,才值得活下去。

猜你喜欢

  • 听力
  • 口语
  • 阅读
  • 娱乐
  • 词汇
  • 写作

            版权及免责声明

            凡本网注明"稿件来源:新东方"的所有文字、图片和音视频稿件,版权均属新东方教育科技集团(含本网和新东方网) 所有,任何媒体、网站或个人未经本网协议授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他任何方式复制、发表。已经本网协议授权的媒体、网站,在下载使用时必须注明"稿件来源:新东方",违者本网将依法追究法律责任。

            本网未注明"稿件来源:新东方"的文/图等稿件均为转载稿,本网转载仅基于传递更多信息之目的,并不意味着赞同转载稿的观点或证实其内容的真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人从本网下载使用,必须保留本网注明的"稿件来源",并自负版权等法律责任。如擅自篡改为"稿件来源:新东方",本网将依法追究法律责任。

            如本网转载稿涉及版权等问题,请作者见稿后在两周内速来电与新东方网联系,电话:010-60908555。

            热搜关键词