新东方网>英语>英语学习>口语>实用口语>正文

常见英语习语必备 让英语交流不再难!

2017-04-06 10:49

来源:沪江

作者:

  要想在实际生活中听懂英语,你必须对某些习语非常熟悉。习语在日常生活中得到广泛使用,因此掌握习语十分必要。你得知道这些习语的真正含义,知道如何运用,争取成为一名“行家”。

  本文将介绍一些当下最常用的英语习语,请记住,知识就是力量。

  1. CRUNCH TIME: the period of time just before a project has to be completed and everyone has to work hard

  1.关键时期:项目竣工之前的一段时期,人人都在加紧工作

  I’m not getting enough sleep these days. It’s crunch time at work.

  这些天,我从没好好休息过,毕竟现在正处在攻坚期。

  2.LET YOUR FREAK FLAG FLY:to let others see your uniqueness

  2.展示身手:让他人看到自己的独特性

  My colleagues were surprised at the Christmas party- I let my freak flag fly and showed them a break dance routine.

  圣诞会上,同事们惊呆了——我一显身手跳了段霹雳舞。

  3. GET OUT OF HAND:when you lose control of things, they get out of hand

  3.失控:对某事失去控制,出现混乱。

  The party got out of hand and the guests started to throw bottles at each other.

  来宾们互相掷瓶,聚会一度失控。

  4. GET YOUR HEAD AROUND IT:to understand something

  4.集中精力:弄清某事

  I just can’t get my head around the fact that Joe is leaving us.

  我还是想不通乔为何要离我们而去。

  5. DIG IN YOUR HEELS / STICK TO YOUR GUNS: to refuse to compromise or change your mind

  5.立场坚定/决不动摇:拒绝让步或改变主意

  My parents wanted me to give up writing, but I dug in my heels and went on to become a famous writer.

  父母劝我放弃写作,但我立场坚定,立志成为一名出色的作家。

  6. POUND THE PAVEMENT: to walk the streets looking for a job

  6.在人行道徘徊:徘徊街头找工作

  I’d been pounding the pavement for months before I found a job in a fast food restaurant.

  在街上徘徊了数月,我才找到这份快餐店的工作。

  7.PULL A RABBIT OUT OF A HAT: to do something unexpected that may have seemed impossible

  7.另辟蹊径:做一些让人出乎意料,看上去不可能实现之事

  I thought we were going bankrupt, but my partner pulled a rabbit out of his hat and we landed a major contract.

  原以为我们要破产了,但我的生意伙伴另辟蹊径接到了一个大单子。

  8. LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED: to do everything you can to achieve your goal

  8.不遗余力:千方百计实现某事

  I’ll leave no stone unturned until I find out who did this.

  不管用什么办法,我都会查出这是谁干的。

  9. GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM: to do something you’ve wanted to do for a long time and don’t want to postpone any longer

  9.迫不及待:去做某项盼望已久的事情,不愿再等待

  I wasn’t sure how she was going to react, but I had to get it out of my system, so I told her I had found another woman.

  我不知道她会有什么反应,但是我等不下去了。因此,我告诉她自己移情别恋了。

  10. STEP UP YOUR GAME: to start performing better

  10.迎头赶上:做出更佳表现

  If you want to win this competition, you’ll have to step up your game.

  要想在这次竞争中获胜,你必须加把劲儿了。

  11. PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER: to calm down and behave normally

  11.振作起来:冷静下来,恢复正常

  I understand you’ve had a bad day, but pull yourself together and get on with your job, will you?

  我知道你今天不容易,但是振作起来开始工作好吗?

  12. SHAPE UP OR SHIP OUT: either start performing better or leave

  12.好好干不然就走人:好好表现不然就走人

  This is the last time I’m telling you to arrive on time. Shape up or ship out.

  我再说最后一遍,按时上班好好干,不然就走人。

  13. CUT SOMEBODY SOME SLACK:to give somebody a break/ not to judge somebody severely

  13.放人一马:给人留有喘息的余地,而非咄咄逼人

  I was extremely busy last week. Cut me some slack and I’ll finish the report by tomorrow morning.

  上星期我简直忙到飞起。给我点喘息的时间,明早我就交报告。

  14. BY THE SKIN OF YOUR TEETH:when you do something by the skin of your teeth, you only just succeed/ nearly fail

  14.侥幸成功:侥幸成功做某事,差一点失败

  I hadn’t studied much, but passed the test by the skin of my teeth.

  虽然我准备不多,但侥幸通过了测试。

  15. ONCE IN A BLUE MOON:when something rarely ever happens

  15.千载难逢:极少会发生某事

  We used to see him all the time, but now he just visits us once in a blue moon.

  过去我们经常见面,但现在他许久都不来一次。

猜你喜欢

  • 听力
  • 口语
  • 阅读
  • 娱乐
  • 词汇
  • 写作

            版权及免责声明

            凡本网注明"稿件来源:新东方"的所有文字、图片和音视频稿件,版权均属新东方教育科技集团(含本网和新东方网) 所有,任何媒体、网站或个人未经本网协议授权不得转载、链接、转贴或以其他任何方式复制、发表。已经本网协议授权的媒体、网站,在下载使用时必须注明"稿件来源:新东方",违者本网将依法追究法律责任。

            本网未注明"稿件来源:新东方"的文/图等稿件均为转载稿,本网转载仅基于传递更多信息之目的,并不意味着赞同转载稿的观点或证实其内容的真实性。如其他媒体、网站或个人从本网下载使用,必须保留本网注明的"稿件来源",并自负版权等法律责任。如擅自篡改为"稿件来源:新东方",本网将依法追究法律责任。

            如本网转载稿涉及版权等问题,请作者见稿后在两周内速来电与新东方网联系,电话:010-60908555。

            热搜关键词